Use the measures outlined in this page to prevent holdups.
- Call the police at once if you notice suspicious strangers
loitering near or in your place of business.
- Never block the view into your store by crowding display
windows. It is important to maintain visibility into your
business extablishment at all times.
- Secure your teller and cashier operations. Install barriers
to keep unauthorized persons out of these areas.
- If practical, mark doorways at varying heights to allow
proper identification of robber's height.
- Install a hold up alarm system.
- Install a timed delay switch to turn off exterior lights
after your employees have gone for the night.
- Use two people to open and close your business. Establish a
system of prearranged signals. One person should stay outside
until the other gives the all clear signal.
- Keep cash on the premises to a minimum. Make frequent pickups
of money from registers and make regular bank deposits.
- Do not establish a habitual routine when making bank
deposits. Robbers will soon learn it.
- Keep the safe in your place of business locked at all times.
- Check the references of job applicants before you hire them.
- In the event you are contacted about an emergency at your
business, and the call is of questionable validity, please
verify the call with the police dispatcher, before going to your
- Have frequent meetings with your employees in order to
familiarize them with hold up prevention measures.
If You Are Held Up:
- Remain calm. - Do not resist.
- Be identification conscious. Observe the hold up suspect
carefully for future identification.
- Report the robbery immediately - dial 911 and don't hang up.
- If possible, protect the crime scene: do not let anyone
disturb it. Wait for the police.
- Cooperate with police. By doing as they request, you will
help solve the crime.
- Reduce criminal opportunity.
- Protect your business.
Stay safe! Visit http://www.UrbanSafetySupplies.com and
http://www.HiTechHiddenCameras.com for all of your self defense
and security item needs.