10 Tips For Advancing Your Career
You don't want to stay in your current position forever... you want to move up! Here are 10 ways to boost your chances of getting that nice promotion:
1. Do MORE than is expected of you. Never say "That's not part of my job." Volunteer for special assignments.
2. Take INITIATIVE and do what needs to be done, before being asked.
3. LEARN the skills you'll need to advance. Take advantage of on-the-job training, but don't rely exclusively on that. Consider taking (and paying for) skill-enhancing courses on your own.
4. Be LOYAL to your boss, your team, and your company. (Yes, you can be loyal without being a "brown-noser.")
5. Be PATIENT and don't expect to be promoted without demonstrating your abilities over time.
6. View the BIG PICTURE and understand your company's mission. Find ways to help them accomplish it.
7. SAVE MONEY for your company by identifying ways to boost revenues, reduce expenses, or streamline processes.
8. Offer SOLUTIONS to the problems you must take to your boss.
9. Show RESPECT to everyone -- superiors, peers, subordinates, and especially customers.
10. JOIN ASSOCIATIONS and professional organizations related to your career. In addition to helping you learn more about your industry, this can provide invaluable networking opportunities. (Which might come in handy if your employer isn't promoting!)
About the Author
Bonnie Lowe is author of the popular "Job Interview Success System" and publishes a free information-packed ezine called "Career-Life Times." Find out about those resources and check out powerful strategies for job seekers at her website: http://www.best-interview-strategies.com.