What Gift Will You Give?
Now that the hustle and bustle of Christmas is around us, this may be a good time to sit back, relax, and contemplate what would be the best gift that we could give this Christmas.
We are often told that wisdom is passed down through the ages, so I would like to take you on a little journey back to the time of the Magi and see what truths we can glean from their wanderings.
Follow me, if you will to the Book of Matthew, Chapter 2, verses 1-12. (I will place the text here so that you can refer to it as needed: Taken from the King James Version)
NOW when Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judaea in the days of Herod the king, behold, there came wise men from the east toJerusalem,
2. Saying, Where is he that is born King of the Jews? for we have seen his star in the east, and are come to worship him.
3. When Herod the king had heard these things, he was troubled, and all Jerusalemlace with him.
4. And when he had gathered all the chief priests and scribes of the people together, he demanded of them where Christ should be born.
5. And they said unto him, In Bethlehem of Judaea: for thus it is written by the prophet,
6. And thou Bethlehem, in the land of Judea, art not the least among the princes of Juda: for out of thee shall come a Governor, that shall rule my people Israel.
7. Then Herod, when he had privily called the wise men, enquired of them diligently what time the star appeared.
8. And he sent them to Bethlehem, and said, Go and search diligently for the young child; and when ye have found him, bring me word again, that I may come and worship him also.
9. When they had heard the king, they departed; and, lo, the star, which they saw in the east, went before them, till it came and stood over where the young child was.
10. When they saw the star, they rejoiced with exceeding great joy.
11. And when they were come into the house, they saw the young child with Mary his mother, and fell down and worshipped him and when they had opened their treasures, they presented unto him gifts; gold, and frankincense, and myrrh.
12. And being warned of God in a dream that they should not return to Herod, they departed into their own country another way.
What are some lessons that can be gleaned from the previous passage: Well, to start, we notice that it was the light which drew the Magi to Christ.
The Bible tells us in Mt.5:14-16 that Ye are the light of the world. A city that is set on an hill cannot be hid. 15 Neither do men light a candle, and put it under a bushel, but on a candlestick; and it giveth light unto all that are in the house. 16. Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.
This is exactly what happened with the Magi; They saw the light and it was that light which drew them to Christ. Is your light shining brightly? Are others being drawn to Christ through you?
It was this light, which caused them to search:
The Wise men could have stayed where they were, but they knew that they would find God ONLY IF they followed the light.
God Promises us in Jeremiah 29:13,14a
And ye shall seek me, and find me, when ye shall search for me with all your heart. 14. And I will be found of you, saith the Lord:...
And what did they do when they found Him? They Worshipped Him!
The word worship, comes from the Greek word PROSKOONEH'O. It means: To Adore- To Fall Down Before God in Awe.
An Example of this type of worship can be found in Revelation 4:10-11
The four and twenty elders fall down before him that sat on the throne, and worship him that liveth for ever and ever, and cast their crowns before the throne, saying, 11. Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created.
Worship is not just saying, "I Love you Lord" with your mouth, but with your whole being. Ezekiel 33:31 tells us ...With their mouths they show much love but their heart goeth after their covetousness.
Many at Christmas say "I Love You Lord" but in their heart they are more concerned with what to buy so and so.
At Christmas We Can Get More Caught Up With Christmas Presents Rather Than His Presence!
We must be careful not to get caught up with the tradition of Christmas and forget to truly worship Him of whom Christmas is all about.
And Lastly: They opened their treasures and presented Him with gifts of Gold, Frankincense and Myrrh. These were COSTLY gifts!
We think nothing of spending money for an extra special gift for someone we love. We will diligently seek for just that perfect gift.
The Question Is,
WHAT GIFT HAVE YOU FOUND FOR JESUS?
He is the one who loves you so much, He was willing to die for You. John 15:13 says, Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends
Now Please take note: I am not saying that Christ Expects you to kill yourselves for Him! What he does want is your life, but in the sense of a life that is dedicated to Him. It is a matter of giving up your way of thinking and doing things and taking on His ways, by learning of Him and acting the way He would have you to act.
While we think of our families and the gifts we will give them, let us not forget about Christ and what gift is the most fitting for Him.
Matthew 10:37-39 tells us,
Any one who loves his father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; anyone who loves his son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me, and anyone who does not take up his cross and follow me is not worthy of me. Whoever finds his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it.
ARE WE WILLING TO SPEND THAT MUCH?
IT IS COSTLY!
BUT WHAT A PERFECT GIFT TO GIVE HIM
Let us give our lives to Christ this Christmas and live our lives all year through in fellowship with Him.
"O COME LET US ADORE HIM, CHRIST, THE LORD"
Article Source: http://www.articledashboard.com
This article is bought to you by Sharron Myers
Sharron Myers has been a teacher of Spiritual Truth for over 30 years. She also is a Certified Aromatherapist and Personal Development Consultant. Be sure to check out her site: www.sharron-myers.com
To Live the Life You Want, Learn the Skills You Need