D-Nile Not Just a River in Egypt
If you are a parent or you have a significant other whom you
think may have a substance abuse problem, or if you think there
is no problem - take just a moment and read this self-help guide
The first step is to determine if you have a problem with
enabling a loved one who is careening down the road of
addiction. The most tell-tell sign that you have a problem is
that you will not want to read further. Please keep reading and
do your best to answer honestly.
* Have you ever avoided talking about the problem because it
makes your loved one mad?
* Have you ever found what you thought was drug paraphernalia in
you house and just threw it away and pretended like you didn't
know what it was?
* Have you ever threatened the police with a lawsuit for
arresting a loved one for drug or alcohol issues?
* Have you ever suspected that your loved one was high and been
too afraid to confront them?
* Have you ever threatened a Doctor with a lawsuit because he
refused to prescribe your loved one pain medication?
* Do you keep track of all of your loved ones court dates and
fine payments for them?
* Do you lie for your loved one when they fail to comply with
court orders and or treatment recommendations?
* Do you lie for your loved one when they have a dirty drug
* When people notice peculiar behavior about your loved one do
you make excuses?
* Do you cave into manipulation because it is easier to believe
* Do you buy varieties of alcohol so your loved one will drink
* Have you ever told your loved one that it was not their fault?
* Have you ever blamed legal problems on over zealous police?
* Have you ever smelt marijuana smoke on your teen and believed
them when they said that they were just with some one who smoked
* Have you ever called your loved ones work and lied because
they were too hung over to come in?
* Have you ever justified your loved ones actions saying,
"Everyone experiments when they are young."
* Do you ever watch programs with drug related content and feel
worm and fuzzy inside when they minimize and joke about drug use?
* Do you ever drive your loved one to their heroine dealer
because they are sick?
* Do you hide excessive alcohol containers from friends and
* Do you apologize to your loved one when they suffer
consequences from their addiction?
* Have you ever read an obituary of a youth and the parents
wrote that they died of sleep apnea, but you know better because
the deceased is a friend of your loved ones and you know they
died of an overdose? If so read it carefully chances are you
will be writing the next one.