Top Ten Religion Quotations
Review your religious beliefs with these revealing quotations all about religion...
- "Ethical religion can be real only to those who are engaged in ceaseless efforts at moral improvement. By moving upward we acquire faith in an upward movement, without limit."
-- Felix Adler (1851-1933)American educator
- "The true meaning of religion is thus not simply morality, but morality touched by emotion."
-- Matthew Arnold (1822-88)British poet, critic
- "Religion is what keeps the poor man from murdering the rich."
-- Napolean Bonaparte (1769-1821)
- "To die for a religion is easier than to live it absolutely."
-- Jorge Luis Borges (1899-1986)Argentinean writer
- "In the matter of religion, people eagerly fasten their eyes on the difference between their own creed and yours; whilst the charm of the study is in finding the agreements and identities in all the religions of humanity."
-- Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-82) American writer, philosopher, poet, essayist
- "Religion is not what you will get after reading all the scriptures of the world. It is not really what is grasped by the grain. It is a heart grasp."
-- Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi (1869-1948) [Mahatma] India nationalist, spiritual leader
- "Calling Atheism a religion is like calling bald a hair color."
-- Don Hirschberg
- "People need religion. It's a vehicle for a moral tradition. A crucial role. Nothing can take its place."
-- Irving Kristol
- "Matters of religion should never be matters of controversy. We neither argue with a lover about his taste, nor condemn him, if we are just, for knowing so human a passion."
-- George Santayana (1863-1952) Spanish-born American philosopher, writer
- "Religion consists of a set of things which the average man thinks he believes and wishes he was certain."
-- Mark Twain (1835-1910) [Samuel Langhorne Clemens] American author, humorist
Resource Box -