Top Ten Steps to Focus on Achieving What You Really Want
1. Write a list of everything you want in all 8 areas of your
life. Physical environment, Health, Friends/Family,
Work/Business, Partner/Relationship, Fun/Recreation, Personal
Development, Finances. When you can clearly see everything you
want, your choice of focus is more balanced.
2. List all the things you don't want to have and then turn them
around to identify what you do want. It's often easier to
identify what you don't want and this enables you to focus on
what you do want.
3. Define your vision, i.e. what you see as possible and then
remove from your lists anything that doesn't fit. Your unique
vision comes from within you, allowing you to focus on what's
really right for you personally.
4. Remove from your lists anything you feel pushed to do either
by yourself or others. When you only have things you feel pulled
and drawn towards, it's more exciting and easier to achieve.
5. Tell yourself the truth about what you really want. There's
often a lot of fear involved in being truthful, even with
ourselves. Face up to this fear and by being truthful, you'll
have a clearer picture of what you really want.
6. Stop trying to choose what to focus on and step back by
taking time for yourself to either read, be with friends, laugh,
play, have fun, discover and dream. These activities allow for
new possibilities, different perspectives and a freedom to make
choices based on clarity, rather than pressure.
7. Don't allow the negative feeling "I can't" stop you from
going for what you really want. Most things are achievable by
most people and by taking one small step forward, you'll see
that "I can" is a real possibility.
8. Focus your time, energy and attention on what you do want,
rather than what you don't want. You'll get more out of whatever
you focus your attention on.
9. Narrow down your list of what you want to one specific thing
for now, by numbering all the items and then set up a draw sheet
as used in sports tournaments. Your emotional and instinctive
sides will come into play and leave you with one specific item
to focus on.
10. Identify at least one step you can take immediately towards
achieving this item. As you initiate the action, decide on the
next step and keep on until you've achieved what you really
want. Taking actions, even small ones, builds your momentum,
confidence and moves you towards your goals.