Civil War Uniforms: 13 Lucky Tips for Choosing Your Leathers
Civil War Uniforms: 13 Lucky Tips on Choosing Your Leathers By
Paula and Coach McCoach http://www.civilwaruniforms.net
Believe it or not, Union and Confederate soldiers used the same
You can too!
1. If you are going to do a Federal soldier, buy all U.S.
2. For Confederates, you can also buy US leathers. Confederates
can also buy black leather goods.
3. I don't like the brown or natural leather goods. I just feel
that the black was more common. But, this is a personal
4. You can also get the roller buckle, cut your own straps make
your own belt. Call me for a consult and I will help you with
5. Belt buckle can be a U.S. Georgia Frame- that is a nice
buckle that keeps your leathers from wobbling around, and it is
6. Fork Tong, Snake Buckle British army type buckles - I have
found that they wobble. I would stay away from those. Even
though they go on and off real fast, and you only need a couple
of holes, they still wobble.
7. I use a roller buckle. Don't get that modern stainless steel
that they use for weight lifting belts that you see.
8. Don't use the double roller buckle. - I never saw one that
looked like it. As I always recommend keep it generic - nice and
plain. You can get the tarred stuff.
9. Don't spend money on things you don't need. Maryland or other
state oval buckles are not recommended by me because it limits
the impression and the buckle and keeper is difficult to get on
10.All other buckles are generic. My recommendation would be the
11. I was lucky enough to find some good old buckles one time in
Amish Country from a shop that had been in existence for 80
years before it was bought and the current owner was about 80
12. He was rooting around under stuff and I bet I got every good
roller buckle there. Some were "Japanned" - that just means they
are painted black with enamel paint. They are so nice, but I
couldn't part with them.
13. As I have recommended before, root around in antique stores
and flea markets. They are gold mines for Civil War uniforms
items at bargain prices!
Coach McCoach invites you to subscribe to the Civil War Uniform
News where you will receive information weekly on every possible
Civil War Uniform item! These tips will help you have an
accurate impression and save tons of time and money in the
process! You do not have to spend a lot of money to have a good
impression, and Civil War Uniforms will show you how!
You will also receive a free uniforms course for subscribing.
Click on this link to subscribe - http://www.civilwaruniforms.net
If you need the information about Civil War Uniforms NOW, go to
http://www.civilwaruniforms.net and purchase a Civil War